Saturday, March 27, 2010

before

Welcome back, Darklings! Are you ready to come along with me on my journey to get fit and ripped the goth way?? N0?! To hell with you then..

In the last post I discussed goths and a little about the goth style and mindset. I also talked about myself and the goals I have regarding health and fitness.

Now, I'd like to show you some "before" pictures and mention some stats to give you an idea of what I'm working with here. OK, like is a strong word. I'd rather not show anyone these photos, but I believe in accountability and when I take another group of photos in 30 days I want you ALL to see results. In other words, I want to prove not just to you that I can do this, but to myself, too.
Weight: 120 lbs
Height: 5'7 and change

Measurements:

Chest - 33"
Arms - Bicep: R 9.75" / L 9.75"
Forearm: R 8.75" / L 8.5"
Waist - 27"
Hips - 34.75"
Legs - Thighs: R 20" / L 19.5"
Calves: R 13.5" / L 13.25"

I wish I could post my fat percentage, because that is really what I'd like to lose. If I get a body fat caliper, I'll make sure to add those numbers, too. My shape is basically flat on top, a little soft and pudgy in the middle, getting saggy in the butt, and strong but undefined legs. In summary, I need shape, poise, flexibility, and strength.

I hope I didn't get too scary you with those photos. Staring isn't nice! It was tough for a vain Leo like me to put that out there. And yes, I am that pale. Dig it.

Now I'll lay out the exercise schedule and diet plan for the first phase. My boyfriend and I are following the LEAN program which is a higher cardio, less maximum weight program. The emphasis is on lean muscles rather than bulky. The first phase of the diet, called "fat shredder", basically focuses on low carb, high protein foods.

Phase I
Week 1- 3
Core Synergistics
Cardio X
Arms and Shoulders, Ab Ripper X
Yoga X
Legs and Back, Ab Ripper X
Kenpo X
Rest or X Stretch

Week 4
Yoga X
Core Synergistics
Kenpo X
X Stretch
Cardio X
Yoga X
Rest or X Stretch

Per Day
5 servings of protein
2 servings of dairy
1 serving of fruit
2 servings of veggies
1 serving of fat
1 serving of carbs
3 snacks
1 condiment
8 glasses of water

My boyfriend and I did a test week, sort of a walkthrough, if you will, to make sure we had the proper food for the diet portion and to get our bodies ready for the rigorous exercise we'd be doing for the next 90 days. The results of the first week were quite eye-opening. We both found that we were never hungry throughout the whole week. Matter of fact it was difficult to eat the amount of food required. For me, I had to do some modifications for the proteins since I don't eat beef or poultry. We bring snacks and lunches to work with us and I feel like I'm eating constantly. My boyfriend found he had a lot less indigestion and I felt better in general keeping to eating every couple of hours. The biggest changes for me were eating a big breakfast and eating a much better lunch than what I would usually get at work. Also, I drank a lot more water, especially during workouts. I eat quite a bit of tuna, salads, veggies, black beans, boca burgers, fruit, whole wheat spaghetti...and we try to have one "free" meal a week. The first week, we had pizza and cake at work. But when you're working out that isn't as huge a deal if you keep it sensible.

And so to the exercise videos...They are hard. I'm not going to lie. Some of them I can barely get into the position required to do the exercise! That mostly applies to Yoga X and Core Synergistics. I have incredibly weak abs as well, so the Ab Ripper is virtually impossible. But I do my best. That's all Tony Horton asks. The workouts last from 45 minutes to 90 minutes depending on which day it is, so it's a commitment. But my boyfriend and I diligently came home and got into the groove of working out each day. I ended up looking forward to it after a long day of sitting around crunching numbers at work. Tony's commentary is rather cheesy though and soon we'll be muting him and turning up some cardio jams. When the weekend rolled about I found I had a bunch of energy to get things done, rather then my usual weekend lethargy. What a bonus!

We're both looking forward to the next weeks, even though we'll be working our butts off and cursing Tony Horton for his torturous pursuits. But wait, goths like torture, right? I guess I'm not that kind of goth.

Next post will be the results of the official Week 1.

I'm also implementing a photo at the end of each post for inspiration. Hopefully it will be goth-esque, but if anything it will nurture our need to be motivated.

Stay dark!

No comments:

Post a Comment